PASIC 2014 Seminar: iPads in Percussion Ensemble
21 Nov '14
I’m currently at PASIC2014 in Indianapolis to present a session on performing with iPads in percussion ensemble - here’s the take home notes from my talk!
- PhaseRings: (New at PASIC 2014) - A customisable ring interface for short and sustained percussive sounds - featuring seven sound-schemes, four compositions and a generative engine for making great setups!
- BirdsNest: A sonic journey through a forest in northern Sweden featuring birdsong, field recordings and percussion. Premiered at PASIC 2013.
- MetaLonsdale: A portrait of a Canberra café in sound art using field recordings and percussive sounds.
- Snow Music: Perform with the sounds of snow anywhere in any season!
Scored Compositions for iPad and Percussion
- Gesture Study No. 1
- Gesture Study No. 2 (free!)
- Correspondences for iPad and Percussion Ensemble
These works are available at: charlesmartin.com.au/compositions
Hardware for performing with iPad
- Hosa Mono Interconnect 1/4in TS to 3.5 TRS 10ft
- Behringer Ultra-DI DI20
- Mackie SRM-450 Loudspeaker
- TP-Link TL-MR3020 WiFi Access Point
- Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (for USB MIDI devices)
- IK Multimedia iRig MIDI
###How to make musical apps
- Use Pure Data - http://puredata.info.
- Get a Pd patch on a device quickly with MobMuPlat: www.mobmuplat.com
- Use libpd to integrate a patch into an iOS or Android App.
- How-to Book: Brinkman, Peter. (2012). Making Musical Apps. O’Reilly Media.
- Martin, C., Gardner, H., & Swift. B (2014). Metatravels and Metalonsdale: iPad Apps for Percussive Improvisation. In CHI EA ’14. ACM Press.
- Martin, C., Gardner, H., & Swift. B (2014). Exploring Percussive Gesture on iPads with Ensemble Metatone. In Proc. CHI ’14. ACM Press.
- Martin, C. (2014) Making Improvised Music for iPad and Percussion with Ensemble Metatone. In Proc. Australasian Computer Music Conference ’14. ACMA.
Here’s a clip of the session courtesy of PAS!